Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Inward Change

Most of us dream of some kind of change taking place, and then we make the same mistake over and over again of thinking the change needs to take place outside of ourselves.  We think, how much better life would be if this situation, circumstance, and relationship were totally not sucking.  Meanwhile God has made it clear that I am the one who needs to be changed.  One day Miranda went into Chase and Toby's room to find a "turd" on the floor.  Toby pointed at Chase, and Chase the 2 year old said, "it was a dog." Problem is we don't have a dog! We always are pointing to someone else thinking "if God could only get rid of their stank."  
"God I need more money." "If I could just change my looks, my life would be lovely." "If I could get married, life would be movin!" "If I could get out of this marriage and find someone who appreciates me, I wouldn't be so bummed." "If my children respected me the way they should, I would be a nicer person." 
In the garden after the fall it was Adam who was first to try this approach to living.  "The woman whom you gave me, she gave me fruit of the tree and I ate." (Genesis 3:12) 
 I am realizing more and more that I need to stop looking horizontally and start looking vertically in this short life in-between His first and second coming.  I will never change until I begin to own my own stank.  

No comments:

Post a Comment