Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dorcas Was Not A Dorkus

I have been in 5 hrs of lecture today studying the concept of Christian community. It's late and I am tired wondering why I am wanting to write about an old lady named Dorcas. Here are two places that reveal her story.
Acts 9:36 "Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did."

Acts 9:39 "Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them."


The story is she fell ill and died. A bunch of widows in Joppa (a city) were devastated and sought Peter to come and pray over her. She was raised to life and the miracle was used to bring some to Christ.


Now I got interested in Dorcas because the old couple who is housing me in Seattle for Re-train this week had named their dog's squeaky toy Dorcas so that every time they heard that toy squeak they would be reminded of how Dorcas in her old age was so influential in the lives of the younger people. I thought this was ironic as this couples hospitality was so graciously offered to me. So this Dorcas woman made clothes for widows and they were missing her terribly.


This got me thinking, if I was hit by a bus in Seattle tomorrow would people be missing me in my community? Not just family or church--the city. If our church in Monmouth stopped existing would anyone in Monmouth/Independence/West Salem/Dallas.......would anyone cry? Would they notice a difference? Would anyone hold up evidences of grace from my life? I think we spend so much time trying to be cool, that we miss out on a life that leaves a legacy in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment