Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Identities and Rhythms

It is absolutely critical that we know who we are before we set out to influence others.  We don't have to guess at who we are because God has given us revelation through a book made up of 66 books penned by 40 different authors over thousands of years as men were moved along by the Holy Spirit.  We were created by God for God which is the big "E" on the eye chart--you don't want to miss that one (Gen.1-3).  If we get that far then we must realize God has created life and the rhythms that it functions by.  For example if you eat fake food, McDonalds, and watch powerpoint presentations every day you will surely die.  We were not created for a steady diet of grease, preservatives, and powerpoint presentations.  So below, I have listed what I believe are clear identities, and later this week I will post on the rhythms.  

Indentities

 Family--  Jesus said, "that they may be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may know that you sent me.  The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one." (John 17:21-22).  God lives in perfect community as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  We are created in God's image, thus we do not bear his image without seeing ourselves in community.  A personal relationship meant just for you with Jesus is hogwash!  I am called to fulfill the "one another" commands in scripture.  A true personal relationship with Jesus will lead you into full on community.  

Missionaries--  Jesus said, "As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world (John 17:18).  How was Jesus sent into the world?  Did he yell from the sky with a giant megaphone? Did he surround himself with righteous people?  No, he incarnated taking on flesh, learning the very languages he created--he made wine because he knows what people like to drink.  He contextualized to the culture and lived as a carpenter for many years before he began a public ministry.  We are missionaries right where we live.  You do not need to buy a plane ticket for Africa to be a missionary because you are a missionary--Jesus made that clear. 

Servants--  "If I then your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you (John 13:14-15).  We are created for service, not like the check out clerk who robotically is commanded to ask "did you find everything ok?"  We are to serve others like we are serving the Lord.  "Then he will answer them, saying, "truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me" (Matt. 25:40).  When people treat me like a servant, that's ok--I am a servant.  

Learners--  It is quite clear that none of us have arrived including Paul. "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own (Phil. 2:12).  We live a life of repentance and faith as we are progressively being sanctified by the Holy Spirit who lives in us.  In John's first letter he speaks frequently how if God's seed abides in you, you cannot continue to live a lifestyle of sin because the Holy Spirit empowers us to dislike eating cow pies of sin.  

Many christians will pick one of these identities and ignore the rest.  This is tragic and creates an imbalance in the body.  For example a small group should be more than a time of learning.  A small group should, over the course of the month, be living out the gospel identities in the regular rhythms of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment