Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jesus, Elmo, Lightning McQueen, Speed Racer, Facebook

Time seems so fleeting and fickle.  Opportunities come and go, and sometimes slip from your fingertips.  I have been watching my life and how I spend my time after I read Jonathan Edward's book on spiritual affections.  He points out that we ought to do things that build up our affections for Jesus.  What I am realizing is that there are many "morally neutral" things that can suck the life right out of you.

When I was in college I took a marine biology class.  I don't remember a whole lot from college--but this video I watched in this class on this particular "beast" I will never forget.  The merciless predator is called the Sea Whelk.  I watched to my amazement, how this slug like beast moves as slow as a snail.  It moves this slow so that it's prey (crab) does not feel it crawling on its back.  Once the Sea Whelk is on the back of the crab it protrudes its radula (drill) and breaks through the crabs shell injecting a venom that liquifies its guts.  The Sea Whelk then slurps up the crab like an oyster shooter.  This is how it is with "morally neutral" things in our lives.

Listening to my 4 year old son has been enlightening.  His mind is a mixture of Jesus, Elmo, Lightning McQueen, and Speed Racer.  What I am realizing, is that already at 4 years old there is a battle for his affections.  All these affections except one have been "created" by imagination.  It now occurs to me that we are created to recreate and redeem culture.  The only way we can see a new culture birth in our lives is by being moved in our affection for Jesus in a creative life-giving way transforming the culture around us.   Our affections begin to turn away from 24" rims, elitism, sexiness, extravagant vacations, retirement, envy, and pride--and then move towards Jesus and the gospel, valuing the mission, love, giving, and thinking  about yourself a whole lot less.  Sounds fun to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment