Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Friday, September 11, 2009

How I Light A Fatty Fire

I love to build a big fire at the beach after a long surf session and roast hotdogs while contemplating every wave I just got to ride.  The fire did not just appear on the beach unless we hijacked someone else's, even still--that fire had a beginning as well.  Oh I have a lighter in my house, and matches in the cupboard, but that will not become a serious fire unless I do some things that will erupt it into a mackin' fire.  So too, I know the Holy Spirit resides within me, but I also know I need to give Him something to burn.  I also know I have been lit by others who were already lit on fire by the Holy Spirit.  Now I need to be careful and make sure I explain what it looks like to be "on fire".  That's really easy--it looks like Jesus.  Jesus was always walking in the Spirit.

I made a list of the top 10 things that I have found turn my affections towards Jesus and build in me a fire.  You should try and make a list of ways you too are lit up.

.05  Ask Seek Knock!
1.  A nice hot cup of (good) coffee mixed with a sermon by C.H. Spurgeon.
2.  Times of complete solitude and prayer (listening).
3.  Wrestling with Toby and Chase.
4.  Writing
5.  Hanging out with passionate people who love Jesus and love to talk about him and the mission he gave.  Passion is highly contagious.
6.  Listening to good instrumental music.
7.  Doing the dishes while singing.
8.  Confessing my sin to God and others close to me.
9.  Surfing while admiring God's creation.
10.  Listening to people's stories (really listening) not trying to think about what I'll say next.
11.  Remembering people's names
12. Enjoying a really good meal to the glory of God.
13. Celebrate the gospel.
14.  Write a sermon
15.  Sleeping like a calvanist.
I know there is only supposed to be 10.  I'm sure in any given season your list will change.  For more study reference  the post I made in August "how do we track connecting with God" .

No comments:

Post a Comment