Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Stop Overcomplicating

Paul reminds us by saying, "Now I would remind you brothers, of the gospel I preached to you....for I delivered to you of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins."

When you get into the recording studio to record the songs you think are the best in the world there is a common mistake that a musician can easily slip into--overcomplicating the song.  As soon as you start to nitpick obsessively and forget the overall flow and feel of the song it becomes as stale as your toddlers cereal left under his bed.  

If there is anyone we should be passionate about in this life it is Jesus who died a brutal execution for my behalf because He so loved the world.  Galatians 6:14 says, "far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Am I amazed at Jesus?  That is when the song of my life begins to resonate.  

Here are three areas that threaten to make us stale.  

1.  Emotionalism-- basing my security on how I am feeling rather than seeing Jesus as crucified for my sin.

2.  Legalism--basing my relationship with Jesus on my performance.  

3.  Condemnation--Being more focused on my sin rather than on Jesus and the gospel.  

If you notice all three of these traps prey upon us being preoccupied with ourselves.  It's time to stop looking at ourselves and look unto Jesus the author and perfecter and finisher of the faith He has given.  

No comments:

Post a Comment