Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sovereignly Gracious; Graciously Sovereign

Moses said, "Please show me Your glory," and God said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The Lord' and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy."  Exodus 33:18-19

There are two characteristics of God given to us by God Himself to Moses.  One, He is good. Two, He is sovereign.  I have heard it said by a unbeliever that "I know I'll be good to go because if God is real God is good." However, that person has only understood a piece of God because He is also sovereignly just.  Spurgeon has said, "This stirs up your carnal pride, does it not? Men want to be somebody.  They do not like to lie down before God, and have it preached at them that God can do just as He wills with them."  

Now put the two characteristics together and you have goodness and sovereignty-this reveals God's glory.  If you take sovereignty alone you will not understand God.  These people are a gloomy bunch.  We must put the two together.  God is good and God is sovereign.  Spurgeon said, "God is not grace alone He is sovereign grace.  He is not sovereign alone He is graciously sovereign."  

When God caused a piece of His glory to pass before Moses, Moses saw that His glory was sovereign goodness.  God can and will do everything He wills to do and we can trust it will be perfectly good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment