Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

He Who Has Ears To Hear

I watched The Book of Eli again last night with my wife.  The movie is about a man on a mission to deliver the Scriptures where God is guiding him amidst the chaos of broken humanity.  He has the last Bible in his possession.  There are many foes that cross his path in which he oftentimes must fight for his life and the life of his book.  There is one particular scene that is very stirring to me.  It's when this girl named Solara walks away from her dark town though it is all she has ever known.  She sees something in Eli and follows him.  At one point she experiences the weight lifted off her shoulders as she is walking away from her town.  She places her arm over her face and begins to weep. It's like the reality of the danger of the situation she was in becomes clear to her.  The sudden weight of knowing the danger she was in and the overwhelming knowledge of her present rescue.  It is a touching scene to me, I can relate to Solara because I have experienced a somewhat similar thing.  I was living in Eugene with a bunch of baseball players, and our house was a party house full of darkness.  We were living for baseball, girls, and money.  It was a dog eat dog world.  Throughout my time in Eugene God began to speak to my heart.  I knew there must be a better way, and so I walked away in mid-term.  I didn't know where I was going. I had no money. I just loaded up a car, leaving many of my things behind, never to return to get them.  I didn't know where I was going, so I headed North on I5, and as I was between Eugene and Salem I felt the tangible presence of God with me in my car and I knew without a doubt I would be ok, and that in fact I was going somewhere.  I made a call to the baseball coach at George Fox University where I used to attend and play baseball.  They decided to have me live with them for a period of time.  It was in that time that God brought healing to my life and began to teach me his character in the scriptures.  When I watch The Book of Eli I am reminded again as the scriptures say, "how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how he went about doing good and curing all who were under the tyranny of the devil, because God was with him." (Acts 10:38).  Also, "The true light who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world."(John 1:9).  Despite what our post-modern culture is throwing down, it still remains that we are in tremendous need of the "Light of the World".  We are not progressing.  Without a doubt, we all need to have the same experience Solara had.  There are times in our life that we need to walk away from all we have known and follow the voice of the Good Shepherd. It is going to require faith, but you will never regret it.

Perhaps it's time to take His hand and let Him lead you into something radically beautiful today?......

No comments:

Post a Comment