Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Success Or Significance?

 
“The thief only comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10

People either live in survival, success, or significance.  Most of the world lives at the survival level.  Half the world’s 7 billion people live on less than two dollars a day.  Yet when I visit these places in the world I find these very people often have more significance in their lives. If you live in the United States, you live at the success level even if you feel poor.  But success doesn’t satisfy.  You can have a lot to live on but nothing to live for.  You can be so busy trying to make a living that you fail to make a life.  You were made for far more than success, you were made for significance.  But we’ll never find significance in positions, pleasures, or possessions.  Significance comes from service.  Giving away your life for a purpose larger than yourself.  Jesus “made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men” (Phil.2:7). 

Growth in my life involves giving up other things for significance. 

“It may mean giving up familiar but limiting patterns, safe but unrewarding work, values no longer believed in, or relationships that have lost their meaning.  Whatever the case, everything we gain in life comes as a result of sacrificing something else.  We must give up to grow up.” Maxwell 

Don’t waste your new year.  This is a time of deep reflection in my life. I ask the Lord, “Am I walking in, and doing the exact things that you have called me to presently?”  “Am I surrendered in this season of my life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment