Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

ShareThis

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ruthless Trust

The Christian people I have met here in Haiti operate by a ruthless trust in God.  There is no room for ambition in worldly aims, because there is no such thing. There are no ladders to climb in life, ministry, or hobby.  There is one daily aim--make it through the day and help others do the same. My friend Joanna Howard lives here in Port Au Prince.  This is her life everyday.  Yesterday, at 7 am, a woman went into seizures as she delivered her baby in the back of a truck.  After a trip to Burkina Faso, Africa, and now Port Au Prince, Haiti I feel that I can almost begin to express what God has been so graciously trying to show me.  After my Africa trip, I came back with a sense of the brevity of the brief flicker that my life is.  That trip put a large dent in my heart that led me, I believe, to plant a church.  I knew more Bible than 90% of the world and it dawned on me that Jesus could use me at 25 years old--I went out in ruthless trust and planted a church that has grown in the gospel.  After drinking Port Au Prince in, I am letting go of my idol of ambition in life and ministry.  Everyone wants clarity, and it is the very idol that keeps us from a ruthless trust.  I walked through a tent hospital last night, and watched Haitians who were broken in horrific ways, it's not possible to describe.  They were worshipping and praying together in a ruthless trust.  Some of them will go to be with Jesus, others still got work to do here.  A human heart that pours out a ruthless trust is more precious in the eyes of Jesus than 10,000 cathedrals, pedigrees and degrees. Leaving Haiti is going to be very hard for me.  Unwavering trust is a rare and beautiful thing.  I know the Father absolutely delights when we trust Him.   I can state unequivocally, that a childlike faith and trust in God is the foundation of authentic discipleship.  Many, sadly believe, that a cautious life is some how heroic and an evidence they are walking in God's blessing based on their "togetherness, and carefulness".  I have seen enough of the world to spot the lie inside this framework of thinking. Truly, we must be good stewards of our faith, it is the only currency accepted in heaven.   

with all sincerity and grace
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment